Cookie Policy

Sunday, March 14, 2010

DIY Dentistry

Don' try this at home.
Most of us have issues, one of mine is teeth and gums. Since I was 14 I have had "pink tooth brush". First memory at primary school of extraction with gas and the attendant smell of rubber still fills me with horror.

Things came to a head when I was in my late 30's and I met a creative dentist from Wrexham. He decided the best thing for me was to have a gingivectomy. So I duly turned up after having driven my car there for a good spot of gum surgery. We will not go into detail but perhaps I will see if there is a Wikipedia entry later.

I was in no fit state to drive the car home when I emerged...........

Things improved a bit but he lined me up for a second bout of gingivectomy some years later. He set up all the appointments for me including courses of antibiotics before and after.

One day before the said appointment I cancelled the lot.

My alternative treatment was brush teeth twice a day plus a daily gram of vitamin C. This managed to keep my gums and teeth deteriorating any further.

About 5 years ago I developed pleurisy after a cold. You have pre qualify for pleurisy with a cold , flu or similar. Pleurisy which is an infection of the lung lining gives pain like few other illnesses. After a day of agony I managed to see a lovely lady doctor in Buckley who took away the pain with cocodomol and the infection with antibiotics.

One of the side effects was an instant improvement in gum health which I put down to the antibiotics.

If we shoot forward to today. I still have my teeth except for one double that has broken apart. I have tried asking dentists if I can just visit the hygenist. This of course goes against their procedures to keep you hooked, they do not do it.

So currently I have no dentist. Recently I have had the double that broke up at the gum level. This filled me with horror but nature has surrounded the broken tooth with gum and it is fine for eating. I have had two fillings come out due to eating hard nuts and had just left them until the other day. Tooth ache arrived, a shooting spasm into the nerves.

Boots do a temporary dental filling kit which I find very good. (not bad for the holiday medical kit) You clean the filling hole out, dry it with a cotton bud then stuff the filling with cement  and shape with a gentle clenching of teeth. Both fillings are working fine lol and no mercury in them either.

Any flare up with gums normalises with a few grams of vitamin C.

Wikipedia Gingivectomy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search

Blog Archive

Links

Feeds