Cookie Policy

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Computer blues continued


On the 28th of December I said I had a few motherboards and hard drives that required turning into computers. You will note that it is now the 14th (nearly) of January and there is still NOT that welcoming Windows screen.
You might ask why I have a few motherboards floating around. Soon after the last local election my computer, pocket computer and camera all went "tits up". Computer wouldn't start, pocket pc said it needed a new battery and the zoom lens on the camera would not work.

I opined it was the work of the police, I feel Microsoft have given them ways to mess with protester's computers. The link was that all items were joined to the internet. Someone else opined that a councillor's wife had put a hex on me.

So I had kit worth nearly a £1000 not working.

1. I decided to buy an upgrade for the computer. New motherboard with processor and ram. Could never get it to work (my fault)
2. Bought a new battery for pocket computer then the old battery decided to work.
3. The camera zoom lens system and special settings messed around for a fortnight then the issues went away.

The end result is I had two motherboards of a good specification that would not work.
Zoom forward two years to now. I have swapped MB's, ram, hard drives and power supplies about 36 times. The many failures recorded are:

1. NTLDR is missing - I say FB 30 times.
2. txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing - another 30 Fb's

and I tell you I have Google'd............................................................

So grasping at straws I downloaded what was supposed to be a boot disk for £4  which resulted in failure. The boot cd did bugger all.
On Ebay I spied another boot disk to start the computer. Looked at the detail with great scrutiny as I was getting fed up of being stitched up. The boot cd seemed to be the bees knees.

So the disk turned up today and it works. Images appear on the screen. I can look at what's on the hard drive. I think the disk loads the Linux operating system. The designer of this disk should be made a saint.

I have now found out why the MS operating system would not load. I was trying to load win2k over Windows XP but MS will not tell you up front.
I say a pox to Microsoft and hope Google blast you off the planet with their free Chrome operating system.

Still haven't got it working though lol.
I do however have access to the computer and can copy files and format hard drive for a new operating system.

Link BartPE

Postscript:: After having one computer for years that occasionally gave me great grief because it would not connect to the internet ( you will have been there perhaps) I now have six.
You may say overkill but there is safety in numbers.
I have a great project that requires a million records (public domain), this will take sometime to download, so the more slaves the better. Computers do not need tea breaks either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search

Blog Archive

Links

Feeds