Cookie Policy

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Letter to The Leader

Just to show I can do other letters than whinging speeders through the village types.

Early this year I stood with my wife Lisa and two very excitable english bull terriers the other side of a rickety gate that could have blown down with a feather opposite 10 cows and their calves. I did not realise what peril we were in.

The Letter

Dear Leader
A letter for consideration.
As a dog walker in countryside containing cattle I have become increasingly alarmed at recent events where dog walkers have been trampled to death by cows and calves. Leader readers need to be aware that taking a dog into a field with cows and calves is total folly and should be avoided at all costs. Conversely farmers need to be aware that if they know that footpaths or bridle paths are used by dog walkers they have a duty of care towards the dog walkers. A recent legal precedent has been set where a dog walker was brain damaged by cattle and costs were awarded against the farmer to the tune of many hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Colin Hughes
Penyffordd District

Links
The Daily Mail
The Daily Mail Robin Page - Cows
The Telegraph - David Blunkett
Vet trampled to death
The Guardian
The Daily Post

Quote
Blunkett has been inundated with messages from people who have suffered similar attacks. "I have had letters flooding in - from people telling me about personal experiences, family experiences, who have been in hospital for three weeks after an incident, who have had family members killed, and a couple of letters from people whose dogs were crushed," he said. People had also thanked him for drawing attention to the problem: "If I hadn't been who I am, no one would know about it. Although I went to hospital I doubt they would have reported it. There is usually a category for road traffic accident - but for being crushed by a cow?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search

Blog Archive

Links

Feeds