Cookie Policy

Monday, March 02, 2009

Alcohol

In The Independent

Healthy living: There's always been something about the tone or manner or nature of health advice that didn't chime with the claimed intent. You can almost believe what you want. Studies say that red wine halves the risk of cancer, or doubles it. That alcohol causes dementia, or prevents it. That it's a life extender, or a life shortner. It's a lucky dip.

But the number of recommended alcohol units has been falling inexorably since the idea of units was invented. If you consume, oooh, 100 units a week, you get some quite judgmental looks. That's the only constant.

A hundred units is probably a bit much, but I find it better than abstinence. When I gave up alcohol entirely for a couple of years I wanted to die.

It was the boredom. The undifferentiated day. The watchfulness. Perpetual sobriety simply doesn't suit some people. It would definitely be a life shortner in my case. So when reports came through last week that two glasses of wine a day increases a woman's chance of breast cancer by 12 per cent ... I decided not to believe it. I know nothing about statistics, or epidemiological research, or cancer – but I just don't believe it. Maybe it's the researchers or maybe it's the news editor that reported it. But I'll bet my whole life savings that it's baloney. Anyway, I've decided to be one of those people who live as long as they want by doing what they like.

Simon Carr

Link The Independent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search

Blog Archive

Links

Feeds