Cookie Policy

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Charles Hughes, Head of Highways and Engineering

In the papers with Cllrs Terry Walker and Gareth Williams. Flintshire County Executive have approved harmonising the Saltney Road so that it is all 30 mph.
I ended up on the front page of The Evening Leader after having a go at him on my blog.
Since then I have thought that the current inaction is not particularly down to Charles. It's further up the command chain.

He sat opposite me on the 3rd of May 2007 knowing full well the extent of speeding through the village. Cllr Colin Bithell chaired the meeting, Cllr David Williams turning up late as in half way through. I have no proof but I think the meeting was a stitch up.

We ended up with half a rumble strip and an extra sign, with some half promise of about a proactive speed warning sign. I had all the latest and best ways of slowing traffic down in villages in my folder. I also asked about pushing the 30 mph limit back up the hill which was met with plenty of excuses.

So we go through this merry dance. North Wales Police in the form of PC Chris Pullen with his speed gun are having ten sessions to try to slow down the rat runs. We also have constant speeding traffic through most of the day.

The NWP initiative reminds me of King Canute being told he can stop the waves as the tide comes in. This is not to deride NWP. PC Chris Pullen is very good. He needs some support from our councillors.

After the Police initiative organised by Inspector Alun Oldfield, Flintshire Highways will do a further check on the speed of the traffic with Hugh's magic box.

Rossett has the best way of controlling traffic and have a compulsory 20 mph speed limit in the middle of their village.

I prepare my campaign to bring speeding and road noise to the fore in the local elections next May 08. Are my issues of relevance to most Penyffordd people, No!
Most are philistines but perhaps I make an error in my judgement? There is also the issue of most people's lifestyle which is a dash round from dawn to dusk. Work, children and supermarkets. I see the looks on their faces as they charge through the village, automatans!

Meanwhile the speeding continues, the village centre a race track.
I risk getting a good hiding or my car damaged by a local because he gets a speed fine and points.
All because of Flintshire County Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search

Blog Archive

Links

Feeds