Cookie Policy

Sunday, September 09, 2007

How do I arrive at the figure of 2000 cars speeding passed my house every day?



Perhaps Penyffordd County Councillor Colin Bithell thinks I have made it up or that I am fibbing.
It's not good practice fibbing as there is always someone out there who will find you out. On a personal level I find telling lies morally wrong and a waste of energy. I have told lies rarely but that is to spare someone's feelings.

On the day of the meeting arranged by David Williams CC with Flintshire Highways and Arrive Alive I spoke to Hugh Jones who is Flintshire County Council's Road Safety Officer and Arrive Alive man for Flintshire.
On the morning of the meeting I saw Hugh taking down a box from a lampost near the bus stop. This box which I had seen on the lamp post for a few days before had actually been there for 5 days.
The device monitors vehicle exact speed, date / time and direction.
The device had monitored traffic so that Charles Hughes Head of Engineering knew exacly what was happening on Chester Road. I recall Hugh saying the average for Chester Road was 2800 cars a day.

I told Hugh that Lisa and myself had also done a visual audit of the speeding traffic that morning.

Totals for Going Out of the village (Up Chester Rd)
for 104 minutes (Wednesday 2nd May between 7.16 and 9.00am)
Perceived over 30 mph = 329 vehicles
Perceived under 30 mph = 93 vehicles
Total going out of village = 422

So 329 speeding vehicles out of 422 as a percentage equals 78%

78% (my approximation) of Arrive Alive's accurate figure of 2800 equals 2184 speeding vehicles passed my house daily which is in the centre of our village.

Since the meeting I spoken to Hugh Jones about my calculations , he didn't find my calculations incorrect.

These figures are not altered by Flintshire Highways token effort at traffic calming last week.

This blog has been emailed to David Williams. I have asked him to show it to CC Colin Bithell.

cc. Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search

Blog Archive

Links

Feeds